Over 20 Years Of Experience

Child custody enforcement in New Jersey

On Behalf of | Apr 21, 2024 | Child Custody And Visitation

It’s logical to assume that most, if not all, parents in New Jersey who file for divorce want to achieve a settlement in a way that is least stressful and disruptive to their children. Even if you sign an agreement in a swift and amicable fashion, there’s no guarantee that legal issues won’t arise in the future. When such issues pertain to child custody, things can get messy, and you might need the court’s intervention to resolve a problem. 

In a perfect world, parents who divorce would work together as a team and always do what’s best for their children as they themselves create separate lifestyles from each other. Reality is different. While it’s not uncommon for a set of parents to disagree on a child custody issue, serious legal problems can arise if one parent is willfully disregarding a court order. If you encounter this type of issue following a divorce, you can take steps to enforce the court’s orders. 

What happens when the court enforces a child custody order? 

The average New Jersey family court judge does not look favorably upon a parent who intentionally disobeys the court’s orders. A child custody order is legally enforceable. For example, if your ex is supposed to meet you at a specific location and time to transfer custody and repeatedly fails to do so, you can ask the court to intervene. Penalties for disregarding a child custody order can be severe. 

A judge overseeing a child custody case might rule that a parent who has disregarded the court’s orders is in contempt of court. The court may act at its own discretion to determine a punishment. Penalties might include a substantial fine, probation, or even revocation of a driver’s license or jail time.  

You don’t have to handle legal problems on your own 

Helping your children adapt to a post-divorce lifestyle is stressful enough without having to worry that your ex is willfully disregarding a child custody order. This type of behavior makes it even more difficult for children to cope with divorce. Kids often feel stuck in the middle of parental conflict, and some blame themselves for animosity between their parents.  

To protect your parental rights and your children’s best interests, you can ask the court to enforce a child custody order. There are several New Jersey Rules of Court in place regarding enforcement. It is important to follow the proper protocol for filing a motion, and it is best to seek guidance if you are unsure how to navigate the system.