Over 20 Years Of Experience

Advocating For Your Share Of Retirement Assets

If you are going through a divorce, you stand to lose a significant portion of your retirement assets. To ensure you receive an equitable share, you would benefit from hiring an attorney who knows how to navigate asset division. My name is Amilcar J. Perez, and I am an experienced divorce attorney serving Middlesex and the surrounding area.

With more than 20 years of experience, I have developed extensive skill in handling complex, high-asset divorce cases. At Perez Family Law, you can rely on me for caring yet strong advocacy when dividing your retirement assets.

What To Know About Retirement Asset Division In New Jersey

In New Jersey, retirement assets often count as marital assets. They are therefore subject to equitable distribution under the state’s asset division laws. Some of the most common retirement assets to be divided in a divorce settlement include:

  • IRAs
  • 401(k)s
  • 403(b)s
  • Pensions
  • Stock options
  • Bonds

Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements often address how to handle retirement assets, but courts can sometimes strike down aspects of these contracts. The financial and legal implications are immensely complicated, so you need a family law attorney who has handled cases that involve complex assets. I have this experience in spades and will help you get an equitable asset division arrangement.

Knowledgeable Planning Through QDROs

I can assist you in the preparation of a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO), which entitles a former spouse to receive a portion of their ex’s retirement assets following a divorce. A QDRO can distribute assets immediately following the divorce or several decades down the road, when a retirement account has matured. I can help you assess which strategy is best for you and the accounts in question so you maximize your gains and minimize tax penalties.

Discuss Retirement And Divorce With A Lawyer

When you need to protect your share of retirement assets in a divorce, you need the help of Perez Family Law. Contact me at my law office to set up a free initial consultation about your options. To begin, call 732-201-6435 or send me an email.